Wood is a noble material, which will give a cosy touch to any part of your home. Wood is increasingly used in bathrooms and can be adapted in many ways: in furniture, on the floor, or even in wall coatings or for the door. Regardless of your decisions and preferences, here are a few tips on how to select the appropriate wood species for your bathrooms.
Wood is often criticised due to its inability to withstand humidity, however wood also has some convincing counterarguments. An overview of the most stylish woody trends from 2019 and some splendid bathrooms.
Details of each type of wood
It is essential to opt for a wood type able to withstand humidity in order to admire the wood in your bathroom with peace of mind. Various types of wood exist.
- Class 1: dry wood, which is not damp
- Class 2: all dry wood able to withstand ambient humidity from time to time
- Class 3: wood types compatible with relative humidity in excess of 20%
- Class 4: wood types suitable for use in a damp environment such as a bathroom
- Class 5: wood types suitable for permanent contact with water
Class 3 or higher wood types are recommended for bathrooms. In general, exotic woods provide optimal resistance to humidity. Other types of wood can also be appropriate providing that a water-repellent coating is added to protect from humidity.
Four types of wood for four different looks
Whether you opt for a visible wood grain or textured plywood, wood adds style to your bathroom.
Depending on your selected wood and hue, you will obtain :
- A classy design with natural varnished wood.
- A cosy Scandinavian style with light wood and pastel shades. Light wood is in the spotlight and can be combined with a range of pastel or dark colours. Light-coloured wood is both illuminating and comforting. Combine with pastel hues to create a cosy interior design.
Examples of light-coloured types of wood: Oak, Pine, Birch, Beech
- Reconnect with your wilder side by opting for tropical wood to add some character to your bathroom. You could combine such wood with darker or lighter and consensual tones depending on your preferences.
Examples of exotic types of wood : Teak, Rosewood, Bamboo
- If you are a vintage fan, opt for an old wooden unit. Antique wood effects are simply unrivalled! Match your vintage unit
with modern taps and sober neutral colours to ensure its position as the centrepiece of your bathroom !
Examples of vintage types of wood : Mindi wood, Acacia, Oak